Rochester, NY, was recently ranked by Expansion Management Magazine as having the best Quality of Life in the nation.All 362 metropolitan statistical areas in the nation were evaluated, with the top 20 percent earning the designation "Five-Star Quality of Life Metro."
Expansion Management, a leading site selector publication, judged Rochester to be the best Five-Star Quality of Life Metro among cities with populations more than 1 million. Rochester, NY, was followed by Pittsburgh, Austin, Boston and San Jose.
"We in the Greater Rochester, NY, Region are thrilled to be judged as having the best quality of life in America among major metropolitan areas ," said Dennis M. Mullen, president and CEO of Greater Rochester Enterprise, a regional economic development organization."This recognition confirms what we already know – the Rochester region is a tremendous place to live and do business."
The magazine analyzes nine categories in calculating its Quality of Life Quotient.
- Adult Education Levels
- Affordable Housing
- Commercial Air Access
- Continuing Education Opportunities
- Good Public Schools
- Labor Market (Cost and Availability of workers)
- Low Crime Levels
- Standard of Living
- Traffic & Commuting
"With four categories dealing with the workforce or education, it's no surprise we fared well.Rochester has numerous world-class academic institutions, along with a highly skilled and innovative workforce," added Mullen.
This accolade comes on the heels of several other recent announcements about Rochester, NY.
- In its 25th Anniversary Edition, Places Rated Almanac ranked Rochester as the number six best place to live in America.
- The University of Rochester announced its new Clinical and Translational Sciences Institute, creating hundreds of jobs and establishing the University as a national leader in the field.
- General Motors shined a spotlight on work done by hundreds of Rochester-based employees by driving a hydrogen fuel cell vehicle over 300 miles for the first time ever.
- Animatics Corp., which manufactures motion control products, opened its East Coast operation in Rochester.Animatics expanded to Rochester because of the city's plentiful engineering talent.